Sunday, February 22, 2015

How did this happen?

Here we go again.  I let myself get fat….again.  I know you’ve never done that.  A few years ago, I lost a lot of weight, got back down to high school weight, ran some 5ks (set personal bests) and all that.   Then, I started to let the workouts slip, and began to eat a little more.  I’d get on the scale the next day and I really didn’t gain anything, so I let it go a little more.  I mean, I worked out all the time, so I should be good, right?  Well, 3 years later, here I am...almost back where I started. How did that happen?  Maybe if my belly had just bulged out when I ate the first Krispy Kreme, I would have stuck it out, but the effects of weight gain aren’t that user friendly...they sneak up on you.

Spiritual consequences are like the effects of weight gain.  God created the physical world to reflect what He’s trying to tell us spiritually.  We fool ourselves into believing that spiritual consequences don't exist.  When we “commit” a sin and the boulder doesn’t drop from the sky or there are no explosions, we think we got away with it or God wasn’t watching or maybe even, all this Christian stuff is a bunch of junk.  It could go on this way for years.  Then, one day, we look at our lives and go, “How did this happen?”  It might even be after we made some good changes in our life.  Sometimes, the greatest collapses in someone’s life happen immediately after a resurgence of good behavior.

Jesus even tells a story about a guy who was possessed by an unclean spirit.  The spirit leaves, and the guy takes the opportunity to sort of “clean up his life”.  Later, the unclean spirit comes back only to find everything all fixed.  The spirit gets 7 of his buddies, all worse than him, and they gang up to wreak havoc on the guy’s life.  Jesus closes the story by saying that “the last state of that person is worse than the first.”

Sometimes, we might think, like that guy, that we can just make some lifestyle changes...start going to church, maybe learn a Bible verse or two, by heart even.  We volunteer at a charity, get clean off the “hard” drugs, and we feel pretty good about ourselves, thinking we’ve done enough.  Then the slide begins and before we know it, we are worse off than we were before.  It’s like we painted the living room of the house to hide the cracks in the walls, but never addressed the foundation problems that caused them to begin with..

The reality is we can’t clean our lives up on our own...only God can do that.  Without turning our lives over to Him once and for all, we don’t begin to really see the long-lasting results we dream of and we just gain “the weight” all back.  It might show in different places, but the reality is when we get on the scale, we’ll see that it’s worse than when we started.  Then we are just left to look around and wonder “How did this happen?”

No comments:

Post a Comment